Catherine Jheon came up with an interesting list of food stuff that will make it big in 2008. The sources she cites are azcentral, npr's radio show and GlobeLife; here's her picks:
- We will continue to push aside big plates and chose small, tapas-style entrees. This trend will continue for desserts.
- Bottle water is out, to be replaced flavoured tap water.
- Exotic grains such as amaranth and quinoa are in.
- Gojiberry and pomegranate will step out of the spotlight as blood orange takes centre stage as the new super fruit.
- Artificial is out and authentic is in. That means goodbye aspartame, hello date sugar.
- Cupcakes are out.
- We’ll see a rise of bold flavours specifically from Brazil, Peru, Korea and Africa.
- Comfort food will continue to get a makeover with dishes such as braised veal-cheek burgers topped with Berkshire pork belly. Call it comfort chic.
- 2008 will be the year of the pork.